1 someone whose employment involves carrying something; "the bonds were transmitted by carrier" [syn: bearer, toter]
2 a self-propelled wheeled vehicle designed specifically to carry something; "refrigerated carriers have revolutionized the grocery business"
3 a large warship that carries planes and has a long flat deck for take-offs and landings [syn: aircraft carrier, flattop, attack aircraft carrier]
4 an inactive substance that is a vehicle for a radioactive tracer of the same substance and that assists in its recovery after some chemical reaction
5 a person or firm in the business of transporting people or goods or messages [syn: common carrier]
6 a radio wave that can be modulated in order to transmit a signal [syn: carrier wave]
8 a boy who delivers newspapers [syn: newsboy]
9 a person who has some pathogen to which he is immune but who can pass it on to others [syn: immune carrier]
10 a rack attached to a vehicle; for carrying luggage or skis or the like
- Rhymes: -æriə(r)
- A person or object that carries someone or something else.
- aircraft carrier
- armored personnel carrier
- aircraft carrier
- A company in the business of shipping freight.
- A person or animal that transmits a disease to others without itself contracting the disease.
- A signal such as radio, sound, or light that is modulated to transmit information.
- A mobile network operator; wireless carrier
person or object that carries someone or something else
company in the business of shipping freight
person or animal transmitting a disease without contracting it
signal modulated to transmit information
- Finnish: kantoaalto
- German: Trägersignal
Carrier has various meanings:
In Science (physics, electronics, biology, mathematics, chemistry and other sciences):
- Carrier wave, a waveform suitable for modulation by an information-bearing signal
- Charge carrier, an unbound particle carrying an electric charge
- a mathematical Set over which a Boolean algebra is defined.
- Carrier-protein, a protein that facilitates the transport of another molecule
- a Catalyst or other intermediary in a chemical reaction
- Asymptomatic carrier, an organism infected with an infectious disease agent, but displaying no symptoms
- Genetic carrier, an organism that has inherited a genetic trait or mutation, but displaying no symptoms
- Chloroorganic carrier, a group of molecules that facilitates the transport of dyes into a fiber
- an inert substance co-packaged with an active pharmaceutical drug
- Carrier (disease) in medicine.
Ethnography and geography:
- Wireless carrier, an organization that operates a wireless network for mobile phones
- Common carrier, an organization that transports a product or service using its facilities, or those of other carriers, and offers its services to the general public
- Carrier Corporation, the air conditioning and commercial refrigeration manufacturing division of United Technologies, named after its founder, Willis Carrier
- Carrier (telephony, networking), A term used to refer to various telephone companies that provide local, long distance or value added services. A system or systems whereby many channels of electrical information can be carried over a single transmission path
- CARRIERS-interconnect, software company that offers products and solutions for worldwide telecommunication businesses
- Mail carrier, a postal worker
- Carrier (video game), a video game for the Sega Dreamcast play system
- Carrier Command, a simulator game for Amiga and many other platforms
- Carrier (game), a South Pacific World War II board game from Victory Games
- Carrier (documentary), a ten-part documentary miniseries airing on PBS in April 2008
- Carrier, a Protoss capital ship and fighter platform in the StarCraft science-fiction series.
- The Carrier, the enormous living interdimensional spaceship home to the Authority, a team of comic superheroes
- Helicarrier, a flying aircraft carrier from the Marvel Comics.
carrier in German: Carrier
carrier in French: Carrier
carrier in Dutch: Carrier
carrier in Polish: Nośnik
carrier in Slovak: Nosič
Aquarius, Ganymede, Hebe, Hermes, Iris, Mercury, Paul Revere, Pheidippides, advocate, aerial infection, airborne infection, aircraft, aircraft carrier, alpenstock, arm, athletic supporter, back, backbone, backing, bandeau, bearer, bheesty, biological vector, bra, brace, bracer, bracket, brassiere, busboy, buttress, caddie, cane, cargo handler, carriage, carrier pigeon, carrier wave, carter, cervix, commissionaire, common carrier, communicability, contagion, contagiousness, contamination, conveyance, conveyer, coolie, corset, courier, crook, crutch, cryptogenic infection, cupbearer, diplomatic courier, direct infection, drayman, droplet infection, dust infection, electric wave, electromagnetic wave, emissary, envoy, epidemiology, estafette, express, expressman, flattop, foundation garment, freighter, fulcrum, girdle, go-between, ground wave, gun bearer, guy, guywire, hand infection, hauler, hertzian wave, high-frequency wave, homer, homing pigeon, indirect infection, infection, infectiousness, internuncio, jock, jockstrap, letter carrier, litter-bearer, long wave, low-frequency wave, mail car, mail coach, mail packet, mail train, mail truck, mailer, mailplane, mainstay, maintainer, mast, mechanical vector, medium of transportation, message-bearer, messenger, microwave, neck, nuncio, packet boat, phytogenic infection, pigeon post, porter, post, post boat, post car, post coach, post-horse, post-office car, postboy, poster, postrider, primary infection, prop, pyogenic infection, radio wave, railway mail car, redcap, reinforce, reinforcement, reinforcer, rest, resting place, rigging, runner, seaplane carrier, secondary infection, shield-bearer, shipper, shortwave, shoulder, shroud, sky wave, skycap, spine, sprit, staff, standing rigging, stave, stay, stevedore, stick, stiffener, strengthener, stretcher-bearer, subclinical infection, support, supporter, sustainer, taint, the Water Bearer, transmitter, transporter, truck driver, trucker, upholder, vector, vehicle, virus, wagoner, walking stick, water boy, water carrier, waterborne infection, watercraft, wavelength, zoogenic infection